Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

Throtle is sticking .. pls help

I had parked the car for a month and now the throltle is sticking. Sometimes when is warm car returns back to idle. When I turn it on in the mornings ( cold) it just accelerates and stays on high rev. I trying lubing the mechanism but no luck.. Any ideas ? Any parts that can be repalced to make sure it returns to idle mode...

Thanks
Colombian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

You sure it's sticking? Like won't react to pedal movements? Or is it idling high because its cold?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

well it seems to me like it sticks.. for example i turn on the car and starts normal. i accelerate it, it reponds fine but rmp just gets stuck and does not come down so I get under the hood and push down the leaver with the hand, once is warm rmp does drop once accelerate and pedal is depressed but never really gets down to idle level.. it kind of get stuck.. and when I lube it good works fine after a few manual accelerating runs but next day gets stuck again..

hopefully you get what I am talking about.. i dunno if is the springs loosing tightness... the cables look fine..
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
tehskeo
CEL Magnet

Well, if you have manually throttled the engine, you should be able to feel the return spring on the throttle plate. I assume it's good since you didn't mention anything wrong with that. Next step is to take the intake boot off the throttle body and inspect the body and clean it with carb cleaner or something similar. See if that helps.

If not, you may have issues with the actual throttle cable acting on the throttle and the best bet is to follow it and see if you can find a kink or see if it's corroded.

Are you getting any codes?
tehskeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
CBimmer
2nd Gear Member

When Your Car Is Warm An You Come To A Red Light Does Your Idle Raise Aswell?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBimmer View Post
When Your Car Is Warm An You Come To A Red Light Does Your Idle Raise Aswell?
depends, once is working it comes down to normal, sometimes it comes down but not all the way and you can hear the engine accelerating a little bit... im thinking its got to do with the spring loosing force to bring the cable back down to regular setting...

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya if its true throttle sticking or cable binding be careeefullll and get it fixed lol!

I would try cleaning the plate and mechanism with intake/carb cleaner, then get a new cable from Maranello if it doesn't work

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

will check out all tips this weeknd.. thanks for the feedback.. i already got a crazy drive and it was nuts.... had to drop it to neutral the revs kick up the way to red line and at the same time I was hoping out the car, opening the hood and lowering the spring to bring it back down... wondering if it took any engine damage.. i sure used some serious break pads trying to slow it down !!! ..

Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: