Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Something
1st Gear Newbie

Thinking of a BMW :) Advice is welcome!

Hi everyone,

Googled, "BMW Toronto Forum" and ended up here, looks like a great community! I'll just right away to my question as I'm sure you guys are busy with the holidays and don't want to read super long threads!

Right now I drive a Corolla (I know, I know), saved up some money and thinking of buying myself a BMW probably end of March, start of April.

I'm ready to spend $30,000 and the maximum I can probably go is about $32,000. Now I was thinking that if I can find a BMW for $35K maybe even $36K, I can try and lower it to $32K, which would be pretty sweet!

I am NOT a car enthusiast and don't know anything about cars (I know sad, but no time) and not sure which model to get, etc.

Now I looked at AutoTrader and I found some pretty nice 335i's (2010). I don't think my budget will allow me fora 2011+. What do you guys think of the 335i's of the year 2010?

Are BMWs sorta like civics (and I DO use this term loosely) where 2009 might cost more then a 2010 because 2010 is known for tons of errors and malfunctions?

All replies are welcome!

Cheers and happy holidays!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Honestly your best bet is getting a CPO (certified pre-owned). Walk in to the dealership after you have found your choice of car (probably a lower end like 323i or 128i) and sit down with the agent and go over numbers. Make sure you know what payments you'll be able make and feel comfortable with and go from there. You could go private sale route and pick one up that way but you you'll have to make sure everything is correct on the car and take it in for an inspection. Also, don't forget about maintenance costs. Some of the new BMW's are 1yr/24,000km oil changes (I think that is almost 99.9% correct). After that, it will be a costly charge (about $200 at the dealer).

One note as well. I know the x35 BMW's are far more appealing because of torque and horsepower numbers. Remember that lower end cars other then the x35 can also perform just as well and save you on gas and maintenance. I was on the 135i only mindset but it looks like I might be jumping into the 128i as the test drive was more then wonderful.

Happy Holidays and good luck on the hunt!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Something
1st Gear Newbie

Hey HavocSteve,

Thanks a lot for the long reply!

Yeah, dealership is a 100% thing for me. Sad to say but I knew people that rolled back the numbers and tried to 'cheat' people into buying cars...

As far as BWM and horsepower, I honestly could care less. I mean I drive a '06 corolla, so anything (and I do mean anything) is faster. I just like the way the BMW looks, I would like a 3-series, but if there is no other option then I would settle for a 1-series.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something View Post
Hey HavocSteve,

Thanks a lot for the long reply!

Yeah, dealership is a 100% thing for me. Sad to say but I knew people that rolled back the numbers and tried to 'cheat' people into buying cars...

As far as BWM and horsepower, I honestly could care less. I mean I drive a '06 corolla, so anything (and I do mean anything) is faster. I just like the way the BMW looks, I would like a 3-series, but if there is no other option then I would settle for a 1-series.

Rolling back mileage isn't as easy or as inexpensive as it used to be, although it does happen, it isn't as common as it was once.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Rolling back mileage isn't as easy or as inexpensive as it used to be, although it does happen, it isn't as common as it was once.
That's just simply untrue... it's every bit as common as it used to be.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
JeffCharger
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Wow, I didn't know that this could be done anymore. How do they do it? I thought we were pretty well protected now.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
I meant more along the lines of how most newr vehicles mileage is tracked much more than it was in the olden days. Everything is computer related and they keep better track of mileage.
\As far as the method, it isn't cheap, I am sure it is easy tho, but i don't really know much about the process.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

1 series will be the cheapest you can buy (less car = less value). If it is your first car and you don't have a trade-in. The dealership should be able to pull quite a few strings and get you something a bit nicer as you won't have negative equity owing on another vehicle that needs to be rolled into the new car. Like I said, look at a few that are within your budget (30-32k total) and go hit up some dealerships. They should be able to push the price 2-3k below that figure so after taxes you'll be about max budget but you could try to look at the carfax and see when they got the car in and if it's been on the lot for a long time try to get them to come down some more.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Something
1st Gear Newbie

Starting doing my homework, finding some here:

What I'm searching for is
- Automatic
- Black
- Min. Year - 2010

$34000

$34000

$34000

$34000

Maybe I can get it down to $30,000?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

You would have to go in and sit down with a salesman. They should be able to bring it down but some don't budget at all. What the price is listed at is where they stay. Start looking at actual T+C BMW or Endras or even Toronto BMW. Look at some CPO 323i's that will come with a factory warranty and also the extra extended warranty on top. That way you get comfort of mind and hassle free issues.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
You would have to go in and sit down with a salesman. They should be able to bring it down but some don't budget at all. What the price is listed at is where they stay. Start looking at actual T+C BMW or Endras or even Toronto BMW. Look at some CPO 323i's that will come with a factory warranty and also the extra extended warranty on top. That way you get comfort of mind and hassle free issues.
+1

A CPO 323i or 328i would be perfect for you. Also, remember that you needn't spend your entire budget! A 2009 328i with reasonable mileage would fit nicely within your stated budget and leave you with cash for winter tires or some other small modifications.

Also: I wouldn't price in a ten-plus percent discount. You should budget according to list prices.

To answer your direct questions:

1. The 2010 335i was a fine car. The fifth generation 3-Series (E90) sedan was current from 2006 to 2012 and saw a small mid-cycle freshening in 2009, so you shouldn't encounter any substantive differences between similarly equipped 2009 and 2010 examples.

2. 3-Series residual values are relatively linear. The Honda example you cited (2012 Civic -- not a bad car, just underwhelming relative to its predecessors) doesn't have an immediate analogue among mainstream BMWs.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
jeff2
Jeff2

Maybe you need to step back a bit. You identified your budget which is good but your a bit vague on the need. Do you want 4 or 2 door, RWD or AWD, various packages, transmission type etc. Are you the only driver ? Reason I ask is because if someone else drives it Power memory seats is a good idea. If your planning to drive in the winter in Toronto then RWD versus AWD maybe a factor for you and the fact that if you buy RWD, you will likely need snowtires to protect your investment.

Going from a corolla to a BMW is a very big step. Forget about decent gas mileage, low octane fuel costs and as everyone here is mentioning, the cost of BMW OEM parts and cost of BMW labour to repair.

CPO is a good choice as it gives you a piece of mind somewhat since your saying you not a car enthusiast.

With respects to the purchase, try doing this:

1. Once you figure out the model you want, find 3 vehicles (CPO) that fit the bill

2. Spend a day and see if you can visit the dealership and go for a test drive. Make sure you let them know your checking several cars out and have NOT committed to anyone. Do the usual stuff like ask for car report, physically inspect the vehicle for touchup, rust, unpainted bolts on the doors, trunk etc. As you maybe aware, just because Carproof reports don't indicate any accidents does not mean it wasn't in one. BTW, be real careful of any US cars that had ownership in NY area recently.

3. Give them a purchase timeline/date you plan to make the decision. If you married, just mention there are 2 decision makers (be sure to emphasize this point). Whatever budget you set, drop it by 15%(before tax) and tell them that's your purchasing budget. Time is always on your side if your saving up for a big ticket item where there is plenty of demand (especially since new F30 models are in the 2nd production year).

4. To hopefully drive a better deal, be sure to:
- Ask when the car hit their lot. Document this.
- Visually look at the brake rotors, are they rusty ? If the Salesperson says it just came in yesterday, they are full of it. This may indicate it's been sitting there for a while (inventory is getting old and taking up valuable space on their lot).
-Keep track of how long they post the car on Autotrader (best used car website in my opinion), Autocatch etc.. The longer the car sits there, the better chance you have of getting a better deal.
- Ask how their month end or quarter end sales are working out

5. Make sure you get to meet and shake the Salesman manager's hand. Let the salesman and Sales manager know your interested but again, advise your looking at 3 or 4 similar vehicles. Tell them if they can meet the price your willing to pay, it's a good possibility you will make the deal go through. Don't be afraid to walk out the door and wait for a call, remember it's a buyers market. Since it's a BMW CPO, you don't need a BMW inspection. But you may want to pay a Indy to inspect and determine if any fluids (besides oil) needs changing and ask the dealer to do that before you sign.

At the end of the day, you have to be willingly to walk away from a deal if the prices is too high according to your budget.

Good Luck.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

Ill give some REAL advice. Unless you got DEEP pockets. Dont buy a newer BMW.... E36/E46 are the cheapest and CAKE to work on. parts are everywhere. And if you cant work on a car with your own two hands, keep your corolla. A BMW is good for rich jerks who can afford the 7 quart ful syn oil changes done by the dealer every 3 months (it costs $150 at Mercedes Benz.....), expensive tires (the dealer recommends expensive crap all the time...), EXPENSIVE PARTS!... the dealer will BEND YOU OVER! or for people who work on cars. its a car guys car.

BMWs are just unreasonable for anyone near a budget who cant/wont do their own work.

I bought a radiator, SPAL fan, fan clutch, Waterpump, thermostat, fan shroud, coolant over flow, and radiator hoses for my E36 for a bit under $150, and did the work myself. call the dealer and ask how much for just the radiator for a 2010 335i is.

I always scavenge for BMW stuff for my car. I couldnt afford it any other way.

Even the E46. My buddy has his, and he needed a radiator for his, and its $135 for a brand new OEM one from AutoHaus.

Not tryin to be a jerk, just trying to be honest. I would hate for you to buy a new BMW and then not be able to afford it, and then you will hate BMW from then on. its VERY pricey. its hard to stay ontop of everything....

Last edited by AZ_E36; 12-24-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^ I wouldn't call that accurate... It's luck of the draw. I had an E46 in 2004. A 1999 323i. I spent $10,000 in 18 months in maintenance, everything went on me, tranny, etc, etc...

Now, in 2011 Oct - I bought a 2007 Z4. I've had it for just over 1 year. Not a dime spent apart from an oil change, which the manufacturer recommends once per year or 25K, I'm doing it every 10K.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
^^^ I wouldn't call that accurate... It's luck of the draw. I had an E46 in 2004. A 1999 323i. I spent $10,000 in 18 months in maintenance, everything went on me, tranny, etc, etc...

Now, in 2011 Oct - I bought a 2007 Z4. I've had it for just over 1 year. Not a dime spent apart from an oil change, which the manufacturer recommends once per year or 25K, I'm doing it every 10K.
I just dont want him to think its all rainbows and sunshine and stylin in a Bimmer. Gotta give a worst case senario. I dont want him to buy it and then end up upside down in a BMW. Im on my Second E36 and its been like night and day. Last one needed nothing but work non-stop! this one, I dont have to buy stuff for just to keep it running.

It is a coin toss. But one thing is for sure. on a CPO, maintenance is not included. and there is always something the dealer will try to sell you.

PLEASE learn to work on BMWs before you buy some new fancy one. Its just too expensive to have the Stealership do it for you.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: