View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #30
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
In North America all cars that were sold after 1996 had to be 100% OBD2 compliant... so I don't believe you will find a light-duty car without an OBD2 port in 1998. They're clearly are giving one year grace period 1996 -> 1997 but from 1998 onwards you cannot pass without a functioning OBD2 port.

But again, I'd love to see proof otherwise that there are 1998 cars without OBD2 compliance because then you would have a case against them.

I see now you're talking about the S50B32 (over looked the part where it was a Euro Motor). I honestly don't know what to tell you, your euro motor should be OBD2 compliant since in Europe it was OBD2 already as well as far as I know.

Yes if you had a 1997 car you would be in the clear and get issues a TSI.
S50B32's do not have post cat sensors so not OBD2 compatible.

This is from the drive clean guide: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf

It refers to Appendix D of the Drive Clean SOP will list the majority of vehicles the
ministry has identified as not being compatible with the OBD test.

And the directors ability to use an equivalent test.

8. TWO SPEED IDLE TEST GASOLINE FUELLED LIGHT VEHICLES
(AND OTHER FUELS EXCEPT DIESEL)
The following Two Speed Idle Test is to be used in the program up until December 31, 2012,
for vehicles unable to be tested using the dynamometer as described in Section 9.
The following Two Speed Idle Test is to be used in the program effective January 1, 2013, for
vehicles unable to be tested using the OBD system test as described in Section 9.0.1. This Page 5 of 20
will include vehicles with the model years 1988-1997, vehicles not OBD enabled or vehicles
not compatible with the performance of the OBD test procedure referred to in Section 9.0.1 of
the Regulation. Appendix D of the Drive Clean SOP will list the majority of vehicles the
ministry has identified as not being compatible with the OBD test.

Maximum emissions standards for the preconditioned Two Speed Idle Test are provided in
Table 8.
The procedure to be used is the preconditioned Two Speed Idle Test set out in the USEPA
publication EPA-AA-TSS-I/M-90-3 January 1991 Recommended I/M Short Test Procedures
for the 1990's: Six Alternatives.

A test may be used that the Director considers equivalent.