View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #50
voluted
2nd Gear Member

For those interested, this is the message I got back from a rep about emissions tests for vehicles with a non stock motor swap:

Quote:
A Hot Rod is defined as a motor vehicle that is 1999 or an older model, in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type not installed by the manufacturer on that model year of motor vehicle.

For the vehicle to be a Hot Rod, “type” refers to either the manufacturer or the block size of the replacement engine. If the manufacturer of the replacement engine is the same and the block size was available in that model and year of that particular vehicle, the vehicle is NOT a hot rod. If there is no engine change, the vehicle is NOT a hot rod. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to provide sufficient evidence (eg. receipts, work orders) to the inspector (at the time of the Drive Clean inspection) that the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type or block size not installed by the manufacturer on that model year of motor vehicle. Otherwise the vehicle is tested normally according to the model year of the vehicle chassis.

A Hot Rod will be tested using emission standards, which apply to pre 1980 model year and older vehicles, which have been adjusted to accommodate emissions from similar size vehicles including all older model year vehicles.

If I don’t hear back from you, I will assume that this answers your question and I will close your case accordingly. Please be assured that you can reopen this case any time if you need additional assistance by replying to this message.

Regards,
Customer Service Representative
Ontario Drive Clean Program
1-888-758-2999
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote