maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   how to remove the front bumper (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6377)

e46it 10-15-2002 11:33 PM

how to remove the front bumper

1 Attachment(s)
The front bumper is secured in three places, the front, the underneath edge and the rear edges :

1) - lever out the long black plastic trim strip that is on the right of the number plate and theshort one on the left of the number plate. Behind each of these you will find two nuts that need undoing using a 13mm socket.

2) - In each wheel arch at the front is a further screw that secures the bumper to the body, turn the steering wheel to full lock turning the wheel inwards for the side you wish to undo, e.g turn the wheel left to do the righthand side.

3) - Underneath the bumper at both ends is a triangle shaped piece of plastic held on by 3 screws that needs releasing from the front edge of the bumper.

Once these have all been done carefully pull the bumper forwards until its free. WARNING If the bumper painted do not put it down on concrete or gravel as it will take the paint off so either put it on some grass or onto cardboard

Dr. Flyview 01-05-2008 04:48 PM

What if you got fog lights? Pull them out and disconnect?

propr'one 01-05-2008 06:00 PM

just disconnect the wire, there's no reason to remove them.

kzy 02-06-2008 07:46 PM

Sounds easy from the steps you listed.....is it as easy as it sounds for someone with little experience?

Dr. Flyview 02-07-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1095034)
just disconnect the wire, there's no reason to remove them.

How can you disconnect the wire without first pulling them out?

Mickey Knox 02-07-2008 09:56 PM

putting it back on?

is it just as easy to put it back on? sounds stupid but i always heard that it takes experience to put it back on so it looks right, i just cant figure out why that would be as it seems straight forward. what about new bumpers?

kzy 02-09-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey Knox (Post 1108676)
is it just as easy to put it back on? sounds stupid but i always heard that it takes experience to put it back on so it looks right, i just cant figure out why that would be as it seems straight forward. what about new bumpers?

Anyone know the answer? :D

rlim 02-13-2008 06:07 PM

Below the bumper, there are triangle brackets at each end of the bumper which you can easily remove. Once removed, you will have access to the back of the fog lamps which you can easily disconnect the cable.

When assembling the bumper, the bumper will merely slide into the bumper mounts. You'll see the mounts at each end of the fender. When you slide the bumper in, tighten the bolts situated at the front of the bumper snug where you can easily move and align the bumper until you're satisfied with the position. Once you're satisfied, tighten he bolts. You can then proceed to plug in the fogs and assemble the triangle bracket beneath the bumper. Hope that helps!

Blown M3 10-11-2008 08:18 PM

I can tell you that after you remove the front bumper it will never be tight again unless you use new hardware.

Davis 02-03-2009 09:47 PM

removing front bumper

the fastest way is to let your son drive the car into a snow bank - this works best if he carries some speed into a turn and approaches the bank from an angle - if possible the snow bank should be solid ice, otherwise hand removal will be required to complete the work.
Used parts are available at a premium

Randy 02-11-2009 12:13 AM

Hahaha, Sadly I feel Davis speaks from experience.

Big T 02-20-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davis (Post 1258072)
the fastest way is to let your son drive the car into a snow bank - this works best if he carries some speed into a turn and approaches the bank from an angle - if possible the snow bank should be solid ice, otherwise hand removal will be required to complete the work.
Used parts are available at a premium

For a second I thought you were my father.

Davis 02-20-2009 09:07 PM

OH NO - not another son!!!

sorry --- no more low mileage Ti"s , in beautiful condition left to wreck - NOT WHAT??? - OK - there are lots of 3i8's left - I'll buy one tomorrow - go nuts!!

Dysantic 03-31-2010 11:49 AM

Anyone know of a more in-depth DIY for taking off the stock bumper and replacing it with a M3 one? I'd prefer one with more pictures if possible. I don't want to get halfway through it and then get stuck. lol