maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   6/8 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Radio faillure (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155290)

gcunha 01-16-2013 08:44 AM

Radio faillure

Hi All,

The radio goes out for a split second on my 6 series, and then it comes right back on. It looks like I'm losing current on my car, but only for a split second.
Anyone has experienced this problem or knows what it may be the cause of it?

Thanks in advance,

TSI 01-16-2013 10:16 AM

Just the radio, or do the lights, etc also do that?
Also, when you say the radio dies, is it the sound, or does the whole unit shut off?

gcunha 01-16-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSI (Post 1595007)
Just the radio, or do the lights, etc also do that?
Also, when you say the radio dies, is it the sound, or does the whole unit shut off?

Thanks for the quick response. I believe that is only the sound, the unit stays on. it is so fast that i don't notice anything else shutting off.

TSI 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

Does every speaker die, or just one or two? Does it happen in CD mode? Radio? Satellite? Every mode?

gcunha 01-16-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSI (Post 1595019)
Does every speaker die, or just one or two? Does it happen in CD mode? Radio? Satellite? Every mode?

All speakers turn off for a split second. I have not tried the other modes, but I will and let you know.

Thanks again

gcunha 01-17-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcunha (Post 1595020)
All speakers turn off for a split second. I have not tried the other modes, but I will and let you know.

Thanks again

I have tried the other modes and got the same result. Now the dynamic drive warning also appears when the sound faills, however if I restart the car the warning goes away.

Conspiracy 01-22-2013 08:15 AM

Is this usually 1-2 minutes after you start your car? This happens in my M6 but only happens that one time and after it it's fine. Seems like a normal thing if that's the case

TSI 01-22-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcunha (Post 1595130)
I have tried the other modes and got the same result. Now the dynamic drive warning also appears when the sound faills, however if I restart the car the warning goes away.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a computer issue, then. Sorry, but that's out of my league...

gcunha 02-01-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSI (Post 1595724)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a computer issue, then. Sorry, but that's out of my league...

Just discover one more common denominator: it only happens when it's very cold. Driving me nuts. Any feedback is appreciated.

TSI 02-02-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcunha (Post 1596993)
Just discover one more common denominator: it only happens when it's very cold. Driving me nuts. Any feedback is appreciated.

Okay, that actually makes it easier. It could be one of two things:

1. You have a bad connection somewhere in the audio system...maybe a fuse, even. Metal shrinks when cold, so a bad connection could be to blame. Does it happen once only, or multiple times? Is it related to bumps on the road, slowing/stopping/starting, etc?

2. This is pure speculation (I know almost nothing of BMW stereos after 2000), but you may have liquid-cooled tweeters. If they freeze (below -10 or so), they might stop working to avoid damage.

Or, it might be a computer problem. I know playing with the headunit is a huge pain, but could you find another to try?

gcunha 02-02-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSI (Post 1596995)
Okay, that actually makes it easier. It could be one of two things:

1. You have a bad connection somewhere in the audio system...maybe a fuse, even. Metal shrinks when cold, so a bad connection could be to blame. Does it happen once only, or multiple times? Is it related to bumps on the road, slowing/stopping/starting, etc?

2. This is pure speculation (I know almost nothing of BMW stereos after 2000), but you may have liquid-cooled tweeters. If they freeze (below -10 or so), they might stop working to avoid damage.

Or, it might be a computer problem. I know playing with the headunit is a huge pain, but could you find another to try?

It happens multile times when it's cold, the only correlation I find is to the rpm. i.e. when I accelerate and rpm goes up, voila: it happens right of way. I'm doing very short rides these days, only to the train station and back ( less that 5 min. ). Today I will be taking the car for a longer ride. let's see what happens. Will let you know what happens on a longer ride and still very cold conditions.

Thanks a million for your reply.

Euro_E30 02-08-2013 11:53 AM

Change your battery should fix your problem.
When battery charge is low it shuts off some consumers like heated steering wheel, seats and some times radio to allow enough voltage to start the car.
Short trips dont allow the battery to charge properly

gcunha 06-13-2014 08:30 PM

Thank you for all the replies. Adding steering fluid solved the problem.