maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mercedes vs BMW? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155050)

JBB 12-30-2012 02:36 AM

Mercedes vs BMW?

An honest question: I've had zero experience with Mercedes, just curious what you folks might have to say ...

Dinanstu 12-30-2012 07:56 AM

...seem's there no experience with BMW's either...

...kind of funny (and vague) question in a bmw forum?

AZ_E36 12-30-2012 09:55 AM

I dealt with that question plenty when I worked for Benz lol too much to say about BMW being better.

JBB 12-30-2012 11:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.
True, the question was vague.
Been driving BMW (e83) for the last 7 years and very happy. Only complaint is city driving mileage, but apart from that see no reason to switch.
I have a friend who swears by Mercedes, so was just looking for info/anecdotes to counter his claims, thx.

jasonbaek 12-30-2012 06:18 PM

every car's different..you can't argue which brand is better than the other brand. You gotta refine the argument and the specific models from both brand to compare.

JBB 12-30-2012 07:00 PM

Very true, thx jasonbaek.

JBB 12-30-2012 07:01 PM

I guess I was wondering if there were any valid generalizations that could be made in comparing the brands.

EMPOWERD 12-30-2012 07:19 PM

The new 2011+ Benz lineup has gotten very competitive for BMW... older ones, not really a concern. AMG-specific ones are fantastic. Now that BMW seems to be going to DTC/auto route, it's more of a comparison.

JBB 12-30-2012 07:37 PM

Thx for the feedback EMPOWERD.

AZ_E36 12-31-2012 05:12 AM

Ok. So Benz, they have a TERRIBLE transmission. as soon as you release the gas pedal, it pulls the car slower redcing the ability to "coast" on the highway. and they decelerate FAST. I drove all the Benz' (except the G class) from 2008-2012 and they ALL do it. Only one I didnt feel it in as much was a 2009 E class. The GL is an american made chunk of poop, and all Benz get mediocre gas mileage for an "advanced" auto manufacturer. The parts are way more expensive, they are more prone to rusting, they make it as hard as they possibly can. The Bi-turbo S class V12 has 2 spark plugs per cylinder, so thats 24 spark plugs the dealer charges you between $8 and $25 PER PLUG!. They dont produce as much power as they can. A SRT8 6.4L hemi has more power than a C63 AMG and it costs less, and has a lot less of the computer crap that takes up space and weight.

And paint.... oh god the paint.... Go LOOK at a black benz, and you just scratched it. the wind blows and they scratch. and there isnt a SINGLE new Benz on ANY showroom that doesnt have little clear coat bubbles from the manufacturer. they look like little tiny white spots. Most visible on black cars, grey cars, blue cars, maroon cars, and any medium/dark color they have.

Detailing a black Benz not only costs more, but it takes more time. 2 hours for a black Benz, 1.5 hours for other Benz colors, and 4 hours for Sprinters.

JBB 12-31-2012 11:36 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply AZ_E36 !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ_E36 (Post 1593357)
...Go LOOK at a black benz, and you just scratched it.

LOL!

Quack 12-31-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ_E36 (Post 1593357)
Ok. So Benz, they have a TERRIBLE transmission. as soon as you release the gas pedal, it pulls the car slower redcing the ability to "coast" on the highway. and they decelerate FAST. I drove all the Benz' (except the G class) from 2008-2012 and they ALL do it. Only one I didnt feel it in as much was a 2009 E class. The GL is an american made chunk of poop, and all Benz get mediocre gas mileage for an "advanced" auto manufacturer. The parts are way more expensive, they are more prone to rusting, they make it as hard as they possibly can. The Bi-turbo S class V12 has 2 spark plugs per cylinder, so thats 24 spark plugs the dealer charges you between $8 and $25 PER PLUG!. They dont produce as much power as they can. A SRT8 6.4L hemi has more power than a C63 AMG and it costs less, and has a lot less of the computer crap that takes up space and weight.

And paint.... oh god the paint.... Go LOOK at a black benz, and you just scratched it. the wind blows and they scratch. and there isnt a SINGLE new Benz on ANY showroom that doesnt have little clear coat bubbles from the manufacturer. they look like little tiny white spots. Most visible on black cars, grey cars, blue cars, maroon cars, and any medium/dark color they have.

Detailing a black Benz not only costs more, but it takes more time. 2 hours for a black Benz, 1.5 hours for other Benz colors, and 4 hours for Sprinters.

you have no idea what you are talking about fcplm

JBB 12-31-2012 12:37 PM

Quack: would be interested in hearing your perspective ...

jeff2 01-01-2013 12:24 PM

My Nephew has a 2010 C300 4matic and I've driven it several times. They are nice looking cars in my opinion(As are BMWs depending on a person's tastes). Interior ergonomic seems to be better setup than a BMW EG. Cupholders location, seat/door controls in one section. It's seating is comfortable ( as long as your in the front of course). Cruise control function/placement is just as stupid as the E90s.

Depending on your need, if you want comfort, decent power and a "nice" drive Mercedes might be for you. The 4matic is definitely not anywhere near as good as the Xdrive in BMers (my nephew stated that) so you might consider snow tires if you get a Mercedes with 4matic.

If you want a tighter ride, excellent handling, good power and more of a sporty drive, BMW then. I decided on BMW because the Auto Transmission(AT) in Manual mode blows away the Mercedes AT in functionality.

Both will be expensive to repair, parts, need Premium gas etc.

That's my 2 cents.

Oyster 01-01-2013 01:25 PM

I owned both, if you are driving 6 speed, BMW. If auto, it comes down to personal preference as to which model fits your immediate needs. I got used to the MB layout for dialing telephone calls.