maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Registering car as "unfit" title and paying taxes (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154778)

Steven325e 12-06-2012 04:54 PM

Registering car as "unfit" title and paying taxes

Does anyone know how it works when you transfer ownership and register a car as unfit?
Are taxes still based on based on book value even though the car is unfit?

T.Dot_E30 12-06-2012 05:07 PM

Yes, taxes are the same no matter how it's registered.

Either based on what you paid on the bill of sale or the price listed on the UVIP whichever is greater. Unfit allows you to get a temp permit so that you can get the car safetied and emission tested at which point you go back and have it changed over to fit while registering or getting a new plate/valid sticker for it.

Steven325e 12-06-2012 05:11 PM

Ok thanks.

Eurostyle 12-06-2012 08:22 PM

With "unfit" you can NOT get a temp permit!!! Car must be towed and safety done, after this you can register as "fit/temporary" and drive it to get etest. If the car is over 20 years old, more things are needed! If this is the case let me know, I did 4 visits to the DMV last week just on ONE transfer for 25 year old car!

Steven325e 12-06-2012 08:25 PM

I'm not worried about moving it. My friend has a dealer plate and can help me move the car around. I'm more so concerned with how to pay the least amount of tax.

Since the car needs work, and I obviously paid less than book value (because it needs work), seems unfair that I will still be taxed book value.

T.Dot_E30 12-06-2012 09:14 PM

Seems like things have changed slightly.
Phil is right if the car is bought unfit, however most aren't unless you are buying a salvage or crashed vehicle.

The whole point of a temp permit was so that you can get a safety n etest.
Quote:

Temporary vehicle permits
A temporary vehicle permit allows you to drive for short-term purposes only. For example, you can use this permit to drive a vehicle to a:

licensing office
garage (e.g., to satisfy Safety Standards Certificate or Drive Clean requirements)
Get a temporary vehicle permit

According to this:
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ate-validation

You can get it as long as when the seller gives you and signs the ownership it is in a 'fit' state.

Before they allowed you to do the transfer making it unfit until you complete the process.

thomase30 12-08-2012 09:26 AM

If you paid less then get a appraisal and you pay tax on the assessed value of the car

IChopCars 12-08-2012 12:08 PM

Somone on this site said that to pay the least amount of tax, they tell the DMV teller that a friend who is traveling for a year gave the car to him to drive while he is away. For insurance reasons the car has to be in his name but he is not buying it, just borrowing it. It is at their disrection if they want to help you out and lower/exempt the taxes.

Eurostyle 12-11-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IChopCars (Post 1591668)
Somone on this site said that to pay the least amount of tax, they tell the DMV teller that a friend who is traveling for a year gave the car to him to drive while he is away. For insurance reasons the car has to be in his name but he is not buying it, just borrowing it. It is at their disrection if they want to help you out and lower/exempt the taxes.

nah, you just tell them its not you, its your dog who's using it, so you wont have to pay any tax!

Jokes aside, no way this works! If you transfer something, you ARE the owner, and pay tax! *th-up*

marek 12-11-2012 08:55 AM

The only time you don't have to pay taxes if it's a gift between spouses or certain immediate family members.

NOTORIOUS VR 12-11-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven325e (Post 1591562)
I'm not worried about moving it. My friend has a dealer plate and can help me move the car around.

I'm 99% sure that it is illegal to do this... A car cannot be "unfit" and used on the road period. That means a dealer plate cannot be used.

IChopCars 12-11-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1591894)
I'm 99% sure that it is illegal to do this... A car cannot be "unfit" and used on the road period. That means a dealer plate cannot be used.

Dealer plates are used all the time on unfit cars. Wholesalers come to my dealership all the time and drive away old cars that were just traded in. Technically, all those cars are unfit because they have not had safety/etest done yet. Although the car cant be obviously unsafe to drive. But dealers do it all the time. Move a car from one lot to another with bald tires, burnt out brake lights etc...

lvan 12-11-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1591557)
With "unfit" you can NOT get a temp permit!!! Car must be towed and safety done, after this you can register as "fit/temporary" and drive it to get etest. If the car is over 20 years old, more things are needed! If this is the case let me know, I did 4 visits to the DMV last week just on ONE transfer for 25 year old car!

I can't see the logic unless it can not pass the e-TEST. iF you are going to tow it and do safety, why would't you do the e test along eveything and be done with it.

Eurostyle 12-11-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvan (Post 1591940)
I can't see the logic unless it can not pass the e-TEST. iF you are going to tow it and do safety, why would't you do the e test along eveything and be done with it.

It's a sefety issue! If you can get a certification, chances are the car won't fall apart on the road! It's made the keep shitty cars off the road untill they get inspected.

lvan 12-11-2012 06:13 PM

Oh okay. So it's geared towards the safety. Sounds good.