maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   hows driving this thing in the winter for you guys? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154687)

minh12 12-01-2012 01:49 AM

hows driving this thing in the winter for you guys?

got a touch of snow in mississauga today, i have a 95 318, winter tires with about 50% tread left

i dunno about you guys but i got caught up in some black ice and slipped around a bit.

hows winter driving for you guys? do you guys throw some weight in the back there? does it help?

richie_s999 12-01-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minh12 (Post 1591032)
got a touch of snow in mississauga today, i have a 95 318, winter tires with about 50% tread left

i dunno about you guys but i got caught up in some black ice and slipped around a bit.

hows winter driving for you guys? do you guys throw some weight in the back there? does it help?

Had no issues with our old e36 318i in the winter with snows, even with its open diff ( the LSD in our other BMW's deffantly was better).

Weight will help with rear traction but takes away from front end control.

Dinanstu 12-01-2012 07:16 AM

+1

It's all in the tires. Adding weight can get you going - but added momentum for stopping or turning, isn't a good thing.

Ceeker 12-01-2012 08:07 AM

Tires, tires and did I say tires!!! Get yourself a decent set. @ 50%? probably old by now, rubber vulcanizes and effective grip is reduced along with half tread life. personally I never measure a tire depth from the base. I always measure from the wear bar. Because at wear bar tires are junk. As mentioned adding weight can reduce front end control. the cars are generally well balanced, almost 50/50 weight distribution.

davericher20 12-01-2012 12:54 PM

+1 for tires

cormier 12-01-2012 01:26 PM

Tires. Really all you can do that is all benefit. What are you on now?

iverson03tj 12-02-2012 05:07 AM

you should be fine, just be gentle on turns :)

TSI 12-02-2012 01:58 PM

Drove the E30 into Oakville with summers on and empty trunk on Friday night. That was fun. Fishtailed a lot (stop and go traffic), and when I got there, couldn't make it up the driveway (have to slow to a crawl at the base b/c of steep curb).

I was going to Oakville to install my winters...guess I mis-timed it a bit.

10/10, would do again.

SiR 12-03-2012 10:37 AM

dont use those conditions from last week as any kind of measuring stick.

the first snowfall like that is usually an ice rink and even winter rubber has trouble in those conditions.

these cars are perfectly fine in the snow with winter rubber. dont fret.

TSI 12-03-2012 11:06 AM

I'm looking forward to real snow!

nonlocal 12-03-2012 12:15 PM

If you are new to BMW or RWD take some time in an empty parking lot to practice skidding a bit. Or take a school, as the proper advice goes-- but at least practice in a safe environment so you know how it feels and don't panic when the back-end slides out a little on a left turn in traffic.

I don't mean to sound condescending and I think even the most seasoned BMW driver should be reminding themselves what oversteer feels like in the snow every winter in a safe environment... personally I look forward to it *shiner*

someguy 12-04-2012 02:08 PM

These cars are fine in the winter. Not great, just fine. Make sure you slap on some winters, and don't drive too fast. Like mentioned, you can also upgrade to the LSD if your car doesn't have one. I did so and absolutely noticed the difference both in the winter and summer. Otherwise, you should be OK.

/Alessandro\ 12-13-2012 04:26 PM

Michelin x-ices on my car I lived in a pretty steep area of the city, in 1st gear going up never slipped once...but I did pass quite a few g35s and e90s stuck at the bottom of the hills*rockout*

iverson03tj 12-14-2012 07:20 AM

I drove my supercharged m3 last winter :) no asc and no name winter tires i got for 400 bucks :P ... which still has 60% thread left so imma use them this winter as well!!! now thats value!

just eaze off the gas on turns and e36's are very responsive u will feel it if it starts to slide. Just drive smooth!

c-bass 12-31-2012 02:01 PM

I have a 97 e36 convertible that I've been driving around with my summer tires hoping that we'd have one of those snowless winters like last year....

Boxing day I decided to crawl out of the house and hit up a mall for no good reason. Made my way to Sherway Gardens. I spent a few hours inside the mall, noticed there wasn't anything interesting going on and figured I'd head back as closing time was approaching. I step outside only to be greeted by the season's first winter storm.

I'll say this much.

I've driven a LOT of cars in my time, many of those in various states of disrepair and lack of maintenance, but this is the first time I remember feeling like I had almost no control of the vehicle. Pretty sketchy driving watching the ASC blink most of the way back to downtown and ABS kicking in each time I tap the brakes.

IMMEDIATELY after that I got online and started looking for some winter tires and came across a set of Gislaved Nord Frost 3 on some 16" BMW steel rims.

With some proper winter tires this thing drives like a totally different vehicle and I don't see anyone having issues controlling these vehicles.

Like Iverson03tj said, ease off the gas a bit and you should have no problems getting around.