maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Remote starter (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154521)

Gleb 11-24-2012 05:00 PM

Remote starter

I don't know anything about them. Don't need anything fancy, the cheaper the better, but don't want junk either, just to start the car, needs to have long range.

If you have any experience with these things, please share your recommendations. Toyota 4Runner, if that makes a difference.

kenmar 12-04-2012 09:53 AM

I picked one up from Ultra Audio (Max sponsor) at their last sale for a pretty good price but haven't installed it yet. They are having another sale at the end of this week.

Gurvinder 12-04-2012 10:16 AM

From what I have read and researched overall remote starters are not good for the car in the winter time. Instead of having the car sitting and idle it is better to get in and drive the car easy under 2500rpm so the motor gets lubricated under load. This way it is less wear on the motor and the car warms up quicker. If you Google I'm sure you will find loads of information on it. People argue this point both ways so you be the judge since its your car at the end of the day.

TSI 12-04-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurvinder (Post 1591266)
From what I have read and researched overall remote starters are not good for the car in the winter time. Instead of having the car sitting and idle it is better to get in and drive the car easy under 2500rpm so the motor gets lubricated under load. This way it is less wear on the motor and the car warms up quicker. If you Google I'm sure you will find loads of information on it. People argue this point both ways so you be the judge since its your car at the end of the day.

This. Let it run for 20 seconds max, then drive away.

Nick_V 12-04-2012 06:46 PM

^Meh, if it's just a beater/dd then I'd rather get into a warm vehicle in the morning.

Here's my cool story, bro: I had a Ford 150 that I bought with one already installed. I park in the back of my property, near my kitchen. Lots of times I'd be in the living room near the front of the house watching hockey or whatever, get up to get a beer, and hear my truck running out in the driveway. The keys would be sitting on the table near the back door, and I don't have kids who might have played with the remote. I'm sure it was a cheap model, but it started happening often enough that I took the batteries out and said screw it.

ac_2007 12-06-2012 01:38 PM

I'm a fan of Compustar systems. Currently I'm installing a 1-WAMS unit in my beater, very nice finish and remotes, all the options an AM unit can have.

If you want really long range (like +800ft.), you need to start looking at FM units though.
SonicElectronix.com is an excellent and cheap source for these, whatever you do don't go to bestbuy/futureshop.

Not sure if a bypass is needed on a 1987 model, but the cheap solution (at least in my 2002 beater) would be to zip-tie an original key to the tumbler, and use a copy to start the actual car otherwise.