maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Remove DRL for late E36 without having to buy the US relay (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151650)

NOTORIOUS VR 06-20-2012 11:30 AM

Remove DRL for late E36 without having to buy the US relay
 
Very simple, if you have a late E36 (96+) you have a CDN/DRL relay that causes your high beams to come on at reduced power. Most people on the net will tell you that you need to buy a new relay (US one), but there is a far easier way to do it. Just splice one wire and you're done.

-Remove DS knee panel and crash bar to reveal the relay (up beside to the left of the steering column)

It's the blue relay:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77...o/P6140235.jpg

-You will then find on the left most corner closest to you there is a thin yellow wire coming from the bottom of the relay (in the above pic its blue because that is a US car and that pic is come someone adding DRLs to his car). That's what sends the signal to the relay to turn off the DRL's when you turn on the low beams.

-Cut that wire and connect it to a switched 12V source towards the relay side of the yellow wire.

-Reinstall crash bar/knee panel

That's it, no more DRL's, no cost easily reversible if you wanted to. *th-up*

tehskeo 06-28-2012 09:19 AM

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

T.Dot_E30 06-28-2012 09:58 AM

Good to know.

I actually don't mind the DRLs on 96+ cars. It sucked on early models with full low beams and parking lights always on.

Bullet Ride 06-28-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehskeo (Post 1572995)
Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

So when you run from the cops you can hide without shutting your car off *smoke*

E36is 06-28-2012 12:24 PM

im confused. the OP says cars 96+ that have high beams as DRL, and pre 96 has low beams as DRL. my car was built May 1995 and it has high beams as DRL, will this trick work on mine?

NOTORIOUS VR 06-28-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehskeo (Post 1572995)
Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

Because DRL's look stupid and I'm smart enough to turn on my lights when the need arises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36is (Post 1573020)
im confused. the OP says cars 96+ that have high beams as DRL, and pre 96 has low beams as DRL. my car was built May 1995 and it has high beams as DRL, will this trick work on mine?

Probably, but easy way to tell would be to look and see if you have the CDN DRL relay as in the pic

dcramer 06-28-2012 03:05 PM

the US relay is very cheap, and you can sell the CDN relay for much more.

E36is 06-28-2012 04:34 PM

^^ can i purchase the US drl relay from any canadian bmw dealer or would i have to get it from US? part number?

5style 06-28-2012 05:42 PM

or buy a used module for $25, don't be cheap and don't mess your installation up...???

NOTORIOUS VR 06-28-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5style (Post 1573058)
or buy a used module for $25, don't be cheap and don't mess your installation up...???

has nothing to do with being cheap... it's one wire and easily reversible. I don't see the point in going through the hassle of buying/selling relays for this.

then again, I'm not scared of wiring where as most are. *shrug*

shawn294 12-18-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1571916)
Very simple, if you have a late E36 (96+) you have a CDN/DRL relay that causes your high beams to come on at reduced power. Most people on the net will tell you that you need to buy a new relay (US one), but there is a far easier way to do it. Just splice one wire and you're done.

-Remove DS knee panel and crash bar to reveal the relay (up beside to the left of the steering column)

It's the blue relay:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77...o/P6140235.jpg

-You will then find on the left most corner closest to you there is a thin yellow wire coming from the bottom of the relay (in the above pic its blue because that is a US car and that pic is come someone adding DRLs to his car). That's what sends the signal to the relay to turn off the DRL's when you turn on the low beams.

-Cut that wire and connect it to a switched 12V source towards the relay side of the yellow wire.

-Reinstall crash bar/knee panel

That's it, no more DRL's, no cost easily reversible if you wanted to. *th-up*

connect it to a switched 12v source towards the relay? in confussed about this part. connect both ends of the cut wire to where? pics????

NOTORIOUS VR 12-27-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn294 (Post 1592509)
connect it to a switched 12v source towards the relay? in confussed about this part. connect both ends of the cut wire to where? pics????

No, once you cut the thin yellow wire, connect the side that comes from the relay to a switched 12V source... the other wire can just stay there (just tape it up).

I just noticed you have a 1994 E36, this method will not work for you. As I mentioned in my OP, this is for late model (96 and newer) models only.

The older models don't use a relay, the DRL's are hardwired in the fusebox and it's a PITA to do (I've done it once).

shawn294 12-27-2012 10:49 PM

ok then i can connect it to the headlight switch right?

NOTORIOUS VR 12-27-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn294 (Post 1593156)
ok then i can connect it to the headlight switch right?

connect what?

Dinanstu 12-28-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehskeo (Post 1572995)
Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

I did it (with the relay) because the high beams look yellow next to the angel eyes and HID's. The angel eyes suffice as DRL's and look better...IMO..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.