maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E36 97 M3/4 pulled over and fined for loud exhaust. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100015)

MikeM3/4 01-13-2008 11:02 PM

E36 97 M3/4 pulled over and fined for loud exhaust.

Since 2005 i was driving my bimmer with VIBRANT ss dual exhaust ,because old one rusted out. Still it is a "plain Jane" no mods family car 4 door sedan. This afternoon I was pulled over by a cop that was cruising behind me for a little while on DVP .
I was going with the flow of the traffic not speeding or doing anything that would draw any attention.When stopped I was told by him that exhaust on my car is too loud .
It's louder than OEM but it is not illegal I've replied politely.Then he said that he knows better what's illegal and what's not and he suggested not to argue with that.So i didn't.
I was sure he is going to come back with warning and let me go.
I wish !!!
He gave me B.S. talk about loud exhaust and some straight pipes.
I've explained that muffler was installed by professional shop and that some times I wish this muffler was quieter but I didn't know what sound I'm going to get from it and the price was $650 which is half of the OEM muffler.
Anyway, he suggested to replace it with OEM so I didn't dispute it and closed the window and before I drove away I've looked at the TWOOOO tickets .
One $110!!! for IMPROPER MUFFLER ON MOTOR VEHICLE.
Second one was $110!!! for UNNECESSARY NOISE.
What a bunch of crap !

AceOfSpades 01-13-2008 11:07 PM

WHAT AN ASSHOLE!!!
seriously, why did he have to give 2 tickets?!?

Trekz 01-13-2008 11:22 PM

i got the same thing this summer.

e30_kid89 01-13-2008 11:25 PM

I got the same thing last winter. Going to court in march to fight!! fight!! fight!!

BimmerboyPH 01-13-2008 11:26 PM

Fight them. They need to test the actual level of noise, to see if it is illegal!

Manimillion 01-13-2008 11:48 PM

Yup, fight it, if he didn't get a decibal meter reading it will most likely get thrown out!

slemmer 01-13-2008 11:55 PM

If the product spec in the muffler catalogue matches for your '97 E36 M3, to me that's not an "improper muffler". Unnecessary noise is a subjective interpretation. Without scientific evidence, it's bye bye ticket and into the trash it goes! Fight, fight, fight!

Meegis 01-14-2008 04:38 PM

Decible meters are not required for muffler and noise tickets.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Axxe 01-14-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meegis (Post 1098329)
Decible meters are not required for muffler and noise tickets.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

What he said.

MikeM3/4 01-14-2008 06:21 PM

Thanks guys for all the support.
Yes for sure I'm going to fight it .
I'll try to get something in righting from the shop that installed the muffler on my car to back- up my case.
As far as I'm concerned this muffler was specificly designed for E36 M3 for street use. I'll keep you posted

Mr.535 01-14-2008 06:34 PM

Yeah I had a couple tickets as well and brought up the decibal thing and they said if the cop deems it too loud it is.

SUPERCHARGED 01-14-2008 07:23 PM

I also got the same ticket last summer, i'm going to fight it in april. The cop giving me the ticket told me that it doesn't matter how loud your muffler is. Even if it is less loud then the stock one it is still illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust system on the car.

propr'one 01-14-2008 07:26 PM

fight it yourself. Dont pay anyone to fight it for you.

Lambo's are louder than your car. They are legal. Therefore it is unfair for you to get a ticket for doing the exact same thing as someone in a lambo can do legally.

everyone i know who's gotten a unnecessary noise ticket for their muffler who fought it in court won.

SUPERCHARGED 01-14-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1098377)
fight it yourself. Dont pay anyone to fight it for you.

Lambo's are louder than your car. They are legal. Therefore it is unfair for you to get a ticket for doing the exact same thing as someone in a lambo can do legally.

everyone i know who's gotten a unnecessary noise ticket for their muffler who fought it in court won.

i asked the exact same thing from the cop and he said it doesn't matter how loud it just has to be stock.

shimajer 01-14-2008 08:31 PM

Wow, thats ridiculous. I hate those cops who dunno shit but will give you tickets no matter what. I don't see them pulling over those american cars with LOUD exhausts, those harley davisons are loud mother****as too. man, that's ridiculous. i am pissed from just reading it. they abuse their power so mcuh, you just can't argue with them, they can suspend your license with other ridiculous reasons.

What's even worse is that you fight your tickets. You have to wait 8-9 months for a court date!! Somehow, i am not sure if they do it on purpose or not, they don't mail you shit.I know it's our responsibility to keep track, but with our busy lives, how are we suppose to keep track. Then the next thing you know, your license is suspended. You have to pay your tickets, the reinstatement fee ($150). wow.. MTO FTMFL. I still owe them the fuking reinstatement fees.