maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   how to straighten radiator fins? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138474)

Acidblast 11-13-2010 09:21 AM

how to straighten radiator fins?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys i just bought a used radiator from the BST forums here. Some of the radiator fins are bent. I searched online and i could use a tool called a "radiator fin rake".

now my question is the radiator has a ZIG-ZAG pattern, how would i go recreating the zig-zag pattern using the fin rake?

Ceeker 11-13-2010 09:42 AM

thats a good question. I don't think that tool is designed to recreate the wave on the fins. I think it is just to pull them out. Maybe use the tool side to side as you are pulling down?

Acidblast 11-13-2010 09:49 AM

that's a possibility. but the pattern is so small it would be hard to recreate with my own hand.

JayR_84 11-13-2010 11:14 AM

where did you get the rake from?

Acidblast 11-13-2010 11:37 AM

i didn't get the rake yet. i want to know how to do the zigzag pattern first. before i go out and purchase it.

Docherty 11-14-2010 11:13 PM

youre never gona get the zig-zag pattern back. theyre there for cooling purposes only. you could try a rake or first choice or hell even zehrs for a comb and try.

E30M42cab 11-14-2010 11:57 PM

Princess Auto should have that tool in stock... but you should have absolutely no reason to need to recreate the zig-zag pattern. as long as they are allowing air through, they are doing their job.

Acidblast 11-15-2010 09:30 AM

ya i picked up a radiator fin rake from princess auto on saturday. i straightened out most of the fins that were bent. so i'm happy.

now i gotta figure out why my 1. car is overheating and 2. why the auxillary fan is hitting the fan shroud :P

Ceeker 11-15-2010 09:45 AM

The aux fan may be hitting because the blades might be warped - you prob have the metal aux fan in your car with the plastic blades. Over heating could be a number of things.
check coolant level. air in system so you may need bleeding. Check thermostat. could be sticking shut. clutch fan may not be engaging and disengaging correctly. Also if you turn a/c on and your a/c works but the aux fan isn't spinning this creates load on the motor and you'll see your temp gauge rise.

Bmw#1 11-15-2010 02:04 PM

Great tool! Didn't even know one existed. Gotta get one to fix up the dents in my rad.*th-up*

BMW BMXer 11-15-2010 03:22 PM

I found out the reason my aux fan was hitting the fan shroud was because my motor mounts were shot (well next owner found that out).

Axxe 11-15-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW BMXer (Post 1464631)
I found out the reason my aux fan was hitting the fan shroud was because my motor mounts were shot (well next owner found that out).

Smart money is on the 24 year old motor mounts.

Acidblast 11-15-2010 04:53 PM

all problems solved :)

so i took it for a test spin today. and my engine temperature was going nuts. so when i got home i checked the coolant and guess what? my dad forgot to tighten the tap for the coolant expansion tank.

then i was thinking. why is the fan hitting the radiator. it never did that before. so i'm thinking maybe i didn't align the radiator properly at the bottom. so i loosened the radiator and from the bottom made sure that it sits on that little ledge is. screwed the radiator back on. took if for a test spin and the fan hitting the radiator problem is fixed. and the engine temp holds dead steady at the half way mark. so its all good now :)